If you want to build your website, you have 3 options (hire a website development company, choose online solutions, or do it yourself). Below you have some information that can help you build your website better.
Do you want to know how to create your first website in a few simple steps without computer knowledge? This article is for you. Several people have often asked me the question: “How I can create my website myself without computer knowledge”. If you don’t have enough money to pay an agency; here are some options for you:
Option 1: Use the online solutions
There are several online solutions that can help you build your website. This solution ranges from $ 0 to $$$. If your goal is to grow with your website, I would advise you to start with the free rate and then change to the paid plan. Here are some facts about online solutions:
Benefits of online solutions
- The web server is not required. Indeed, the companies with which you create your first website take care of the hosting of websites.
- You create your account and start using it. In most cases, you simply fill out forms, choose a theme, and your site is ready;
- Computer skills are not required. Several online solutions have “Drag and Drop” features that you can use.
- Your site is ready in a few hours. If your content is already ready, building an online website can take a few hours.
Disadvantages of online solutions
- Unless you subscribe to a paid option, many of these companies do not allow you to have your own domain name. For example, if you go to Wix.com, your domain name is a subdomain including wix.com.
- You cannot remove the signature of the company offering the solution at the bottom of your pages (if you do not subscribe to certain plans).
- The improvement in the quality of your website is somewhat limited. This means that you only have to make changes to the limit provided by the owner.
- You cannot monetize your site where you can only receive a portion of the profits. Several online solutions give you the possibility to create your site for free. However, these solutions schedule advertisements such as AdSense that make them generate income online.
Some examples of online solutions
If you are interested in online solutions, here are some examples:
Option 2: Create a self-hosted website
Self – hosted website creation allows you to manage the hosting of your website yourself. Indeed, if you want to have more freedom and benefit 100% from the creation of your content; this option is for you. Rest assured ; Contrary to what many think, a self-hosted site does not necessarily require computer skills. For example, there are content managers to help create your site. Here are the steps to get you there.
1- Define your objective:
As you may already know, there are over a billion websites on the net. That said, having a website without a specific goal is useless. If you want to make a difference, take the time to define the purpose of your website. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Why do I want to have a website?
- Who is my target or audience?
- What type of website is suitable for my industry or target?
- How do I position myself against the competition?
Once you ask yourself these questions, it prompts you to research what you want. You can for example go to Google and search for potential competitors to see what type of site they have. In addition to seeing the type of site, see how it writes their content or chooses their domain name.
2- Choose the solution to use for your first website
If you have no computer skills, I will advise you to go to CMS (content managers). These are software programs that allow you to easily create websites. There are self-service content managers and paid CMS. In your case, you would definitely want to go for free solutions. Here are some examples of free CMS.
- WordPress – For blogging, business websites, and e-commerce (WooCommerce). To download, visit this link.
- Joomla – For creating blogs, e-commerce and business websites.
- Drupal – https://www.drupal.org/ – Best for business websites
- Magento – For online businesses
- PrestaShop – For online shops
3- Shop web hosts (The location where your information will be stored) – As well as a domain name (eg prositeweb.ca)
– example of hosts – GoDaddy, JustHost, HostPapa ….
– Create or Shop the design for your website
– p. ex. https://www.templatemonster.com/, https://creativemarket.com/ (The chosen design must be according to the technology you want to use)
4- Integrate your design and your content.
This step consists of modifying the design, adding your text and photos.
Benefits of self-hosted websites
- You are free to choose the technique you want for your website. Indeed, unlike online solutions which is based on a single technique, you have a wide choice with self-hosting. So, to create your first website, you can try different techniques.
- Customizing your site is easier and much faster. With a self-hosted solution, if you use a content manager, for example, you can refer a feature vendor or the community. To this end, it is easier to switch from one more modern feature to another.
- Growing your business is much faster. If you are interested in search engine optimization or improving to keep pace with the evolution, choose self-hosted solutions. Indeed, an online solution forces you to comply with the supplier.
- You have the option of having your own domain name.
Disadvantages of self-hosted websites
For a first website, managing the security of the server where updates can be complicated. In addition, if you are not used to reading or informing yourself, it can waste time. Here are some drawbacks:
- Difficulties creating a site or making updates. While you don’t need the skills, you need to educate yourself. Not having the right information can be frustrating in the short, medium, or long term.
- Risk of making security breaches. One of the biggest challenges for novices is managing security. Indeed, the less you know how to develop a site, the more you tend to use external resources. Which can be the source of the flaws.
- May require a time investment. If you intend to achieve a number of goals with your website, you may end up spending more time on the technical side rather than your end goal.
Creating your first website is getting easier and easier. However, you must remember that the end point is not the site; but the goal. Several people embark on the adventure and end up giving up after a while. If you take the time to put together a great website and invest the time in the content, you will benefit a lot. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to Contact us . You will also find enough resources to be successful online by consulting our blog